Sculpting Space with On-Site Robotics: Digital and Physical Interoperability for Design, Fabrication, and Construction
SOCIAL: @burcinnalinci @dan_rothbart @_nathanbarnes_ @mahdiar.g @eldeck @perkinswill @zahnermetal
Zahner and Perkins&Will, have been pioneering co-authoring tools and workflows to bridge information silos within the AEC industry. We are thrilled to bring you a multi-track workshop that allows you to step into various roles, including surveyor, installer, designer, engineer, and fabricator.
In this immersive workshop, we will explore diverse methods for seamless interaction between the digital and physical realms. We'll cover techniques for reconciling digital models with existing field conditions and delve into node-based workflows, leveraging on-site robotics, sensors, smart tools, and real-time AR information delivery.
Key Workshop Highlights:
Site Selection and Scanning: We kick off by selecting a site, whether it's a column or ceiling, and utilize the cutting-edge Leica MS60 3D scanner to capture precise data. After meticulous post-processing, we employ the point clouds to drive our surface modeling.
- Structure Design and Fabrication: Building on the surface model, we proceed to design and fabricate a structure for our modular skin system with a strong emphasis on precision.
- Field Installation: Our proprietary field installation tool, SurveyLink, takes center stage, ensuring precise placement of structural components according to the existing field conditions.
Field Condition Updates: After the structure is installed, we conduct scans of the updated field conditions, which guide the aggregation and design of typical skin parts.
Skin Assembly: With the skin model now complete, we utilize SurveyLink, node-based smart tools, and a robotic arm to accurately position and assemble skin members.
This workshop offers a unique opportunity to explore the heart of digital-physical integration, encouraging creativity, innovation, and efficient collaboration in the AEC domain. Join us for an unforgettable journey into the future of construction and design.
- Basic knowledge of Rhino3D/Grasshopper
- Prior experience in point cloud processing is a plus, but not required
- Prior experience with digital fabrication is a plus, but not required